Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Lasagna

Recently, I was searching for a lasagna recipe that used an alfredo sauce rather than a tomato based sauce. I came across a few recipes, and sort of combined them into this one. I also made it with lower fat ingredients. We couldn’t tell the difference!

I am struggling with how I am going to type this up without it being complicated, though. Hmmm….well, let me start off by saying, I like to use no-boil noodles. Specifically, the Barilla brand. If you decide to use these, then make sure you are making this at least the morning, if not the night before you are going to cook and eat it. Also, be sure to read the rest of my comments to see what you need to do differently for the no-boil noodles!

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Lasagna

1 (16 oz.) package lasagna noodles
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped broccoli (or spinach)
3 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, diced (I used a precooked rotisserie chicken!)
30 oz. light alfredo sauce (such as Classico)
4 cups shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
2 pints part-skim ricotta cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions on package (if not using the no-boil!). Cook broccoli (or spinach) according to directions on package. Drain.

In a medium bowl, combine sauce and chicken and stir together. In another bowl, combine ricotta and drained, cooked broccoli.

In a 9x13 baking dish, spread some of the sauce mixture on the bottom of the dish, just enough to cover. Place one layer of lasagna noodles on top, edges overlapping. Spread with 1/3 of the remaining chicken mixture. Next top with ½ of the ricotta mixture. Then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Next, place another layer of noodles, 1/3 chicken mixture, the rest of the ricotta mixture, and 1/3 mozzarella. Finally, top with noodles, remaining chicken mixture, and remaining mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly.

NOTE: If you are using no-boil noodles, you need to add ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of milk to the sauce and chicken mixture!!!

This is a pretty easy dish to put together. It makes A LOT of food, so you may want to make half a recipe and cook it in a 9x9 dish, or invite people over to share it! We really liked it. I made it with broccoli rather than spinach because I thought my kids would like it better, however, neither of them ate it at all. Grrr. Anyhow, we really liked it. And we shared some with friends and they said they enjoyed it as well. I would definitely make it again.

Sorry there is no picture. I was really excited to eat this, and I forgot to take one. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment