Thursday, February 25, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Last week I pulled my last jar of Strawberry Freezer Jam out of the freezer, so I knew I had to find some fresh strawberries soon so I could make another batch. I never thought I would be someone who would make homemade jam, but once I tasted it several years ago, I was hooked.

If you have never eaten Strawberry Freezer Jam, then you are in for a great treat. And if you have never made it, you will be amazed at how easy it is.


Strawberry Freezer Jam – This recipe comes straight from the Sure.Jell box!

2 cups crushed strawberries (buy 1 qt. fully ripe strawberries)
4 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
¾ cup water
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin

1. Rinse 5 (1-cup) plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
2. Stem and crush strawberries thoroughly, 1 cup at a time. Measure EXACTLY 2 cups prepared fruit into large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally.
3. Mix water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring 1 min. Add to fruit mixture; stir 3 min. or until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy. (A few sugar crystals may remain.)
4. Fill all containers immediately to within ½ inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or in freezer up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator before using.


I rinse and remove the all the stems and then quarter the strawberries and place them in a 9x13 glass dish. I use a potato masher to crush them. You want there to be tiny piece of crushed fruit in your jam. It is very important that you measure out the crushed strawberries to be exactly 2 cups. If you use too much fruit, the jam may not set properly.

I use a heatproof whisk when heating the water and pectin. You have to stir it constantly so that it doesn’t stick to the pan. It will bubbly and get foamy when it is boiling, cook it for another minute when it’s at that point. Then immediately pour it into the strawberry mixture. Use a heatproof spatula to scrape all the pectin into the fruit. Mix for 3 minutes and then fill your containers.

Depending on how often you use jam, you may want to use smaller jars. I use ½ cup containers because it’s only good in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, and I don’t want to take any chances of wasting it!

The jars must sit at room temperature for 24 hours, and then they are ready to go in the freezer! Of course, make sure you put one in the refrigerator so you can enjoy it immediately!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment