Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken and Broccoli Cornbread

When I got up this morning, I had a plan for dinner tonight, but I wasn’t happy with it. I don’t know why, but it just didn’t feel right. I hadn’t even bought the items yet (I was going grocery shopping later in the morning). So, I checked out one of my e-mails from Kraft Kitchens and checked out the slow-cooker recipes and I found this recipe, Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken. It sounded perfect. I always like to read some of the reviews people write and by doing that, I can make modifications where necessary. Once I made up my mind to make this, I knew immediately that I wanted to make the Broccoli Cornbread recipe I got from my friend Jodi a few months back. I added all those items to the list and went to the store!

Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken adapted from a Kraft Kitchens recipe

1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
1 to 2 packages of taco seasoning
2 Tbsp. flour
1 each green and red pepper, cut into thin, fajita-style strips
1 cup frozen corn
1-1/2 cups Salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel original
Mexican Style Finely Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream

1. Toss chicken with taco seasoning and flour in slow cooker. Stir in vegetables, beans, Rotel and salsa; cover with lid.
2. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
3. Serve over Spanish Rice (I made a package of Knorr Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice).
4. Top with cheese and sour cream.

Broccoli Cheese Cornbread (I got this recipe from my friend Jodi M. here in Alabama)

10 oz. Chopped Broccoli, cooked and drained
2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup Sour Cream
1/2 stick butter, melted
Cheddar Cheese

1. Pour butter in 9x13 pan.
2. Mix other ingredients and pour on top of butter.
3. Cook for 25 min @ 350°F.
4. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and cook 5 more min.

When I got back from the store I got busy getting everything in the slow-cooker. I cooked it for a little over an hour on high, then switched it to low for another 4 ½ hours. Normally, I would have put it in earlier and cooked it on low all day.

The kids and I got back from Faith’s piano lesson and it smelled soooo yummy in our house! I got started right away on the Cornbread, and once that was in the oven, made the rice. At this point, I was hoping the chicken dish was going to be everything I had hoped for. I just couldn’t imagine how it could be bad. But, you know, those thoughts of doubt start to creep in!

I let the Cornbread cool for a few minutes after it came out of the oven. I put rice on the dishes and placed a scoop of chicken and veggies on top of it. Then I sprinkled on some of the cheese, and put a dollop (I love that word) of sour cream on top. After making sure everyone had a piece of Cornbread, we said prayers and started eating!! My kids went straight for the Cornbread and they loved it! Frankie’s words were, “Mom, you HAVE to try the cornbread, it’s so buttery and cheesy. It’s AWESOME!”. I love him. Faith loved it, too, I knew that by the way she kept saying, “Yum” between bites! I love her, too! Neither of them were big on the red and green peppers (they like them raw, but not cooked), but they really liked the chicken, rice and other veggies. I thought all of it was delicious. Frank didn’t get home from work until late, so he got his reheated, but he liked it, too. And we all agreed it was going to be on our “make-again” list!

It’s so nice when new recipes work out…I hope you and your family enjoy this as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment