Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kristina vs. Chocolate Chip Cookies

I enjoy baking. I enjoy cooking, too, but I think I like baking even more. Over the years, I have had this battle with Chocolate Chip cookies. They never turn out very good. Seriously. I will admit, they are one thing I struggled with baking for a long time. It’s shocking, even to me, because Chocolate Chip cookies are such a common thing to bake. But it is true.

My mom always made the “Nestle Toll House” recipe that can be found right on the back of the bag of chocolate chips. They always turned out great, not to crunchy, not too soft, and just the right thickness. However, whenever I tried to make that recipe, my cookies came out flat, and I mean SO flat that they were just like pancakes, except super crispy, not at all looking like something you would want to give away, let alone eat yourself. The first time this happened, I figured I messed something up. But it kept happening over and over through the years. I started analyzing, OVER analyzing, what I was doing. Was my butter too soft or not soft enough? Should I use insulated cookie sheets or non-insulated cookie sheets? Maybe I should mix them by hand instead of using my mixer. Maybe I am over mixing. Should I chill the dough? Is the oven heating to the right temperature? And on and on and on. You get the picture. I would try something different every time I made them, and get the same results. I would be SO angry when I would peek in at the first pan I put in the oven and saw that they were flat, that many times I would just throw the rest of the dough in the trash (well, I’d eat some of it first).

Eventually, I started trying other recipes, and they would come out better, but I didn’t love the way they tasted. I kept searching and searching, and then I would think, I will try the Nestle recipe again…of course with the same results. Finally, I came to the conclusion that for whatever reason, it wasn’t meant for me to make chocolate chip cookies. I was very disappointed. How would my kids grow up normal without homemade chocolate chip cookies? I started looking for a therapist for them…they were going to need it, I was sure.

But one day, I bought some “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” Cooking and Baking sticks. They have 50% less saturated fat than butter and are supposed to be great for baking. On the back of that box, there was a recipe for One Bowl Chocolate Chip cookies. I was tempted. I really wanted to try them, but all those feelings of anger and disappointment from my previous attempts came back. I decided I had to try them. I had to overcome this feeling of failure when it came to chocolate chip cookies.

It turned out to be a happy day in my house. Seriously, I think I cried tears of joy when I realized that not only were they the thickness that I had been hoping for, but they tasted great, too! I highly recommend this recipe! I don’t think you will be disappointed! Even if you are one of those gifted bakers who have the ability to bake the “Nestle Toll House” recipe to perfection!


One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Cooking and Baking sticks
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ tsp. baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Beat butter with sugars in large bowl with electric mixer or wooden spoon until smooth. Beat in vanilla, egg, and baking soda. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in chips.

Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely.


Pour yourself a big glass of milk and enjoy these cookies!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I JUST made some Toll house cookies today and, each tray came out a bit different...funny how we can bake so much, and yet struggle with this basic staple cookie!

    I am going to try these and I'll let you know how it goes!! Thanks for sharing your saga...oh, and wasn't there a time when you used 4 sticks of butter on accident? Or was that another friend of mine??? Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Megan! You have a good memory! The 4 sticks of butter was when I was making Snickerdoodles, and I was having trouble remembering if 1 stick of butter was 1/4 cup or 1/4 pound. I know, it's written right on the wrapper! But I had it in my head that 4 sticks was a cup! I was glad to get that sorted out! But that was not my problem with the chocolate chip cookies. I do like this recipe, though. And it has less fat, sugar, and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking too! I'll have to put this on my list to try. I have a chocolate chip recipe that uses Crisco and I really like that. They come out thicker and chewier than the regular "Toll House" recipe. Can also substitue M&Ms in it, which the kids love. Too bad baking cookies always leads to eating cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking does always lead to eating, doesn't it. Yesterday, I ate one of the baked cookies, and put the rest in a tin for Frank to take to work for a guy who helped us out recently. However, I did eat a couple cookies worth of dough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I feel like baking cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE those ICBINB sticks! I used them in almost all of my Christmas baking. I think they make me skinny.

    ReplyDelete