Saturday, January 23, 2010

Semi-Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

This morning my husband mentioned that Chicken Noodle Soup sounded good to him. I am not sure why, because no one is sick in our house and it wasn’t cold today, but he said it just sounded good. I really didn’t have a plan for dinner today (can you believe it?) so I decided to make him some Chicken Noodle Soup.

Normally, I would make chicken stock after I roast a chicken, but I didn’t have any chicken, so I had to start with what I did have. And that was chicken bouillon granules. Not exactly what I think of when making soup, but it would work for a quick pot of soup. I did realize then that I did have chicken…canned chicken. Basically, I scraped together some semi-homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with items I had on hand. It turned out amazingly well. Everyone liked it and we still have leftovers for tomorrow!

Here is my quick and easy recipe:

15 cups water
5 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
½ small onion chopped
3 celery stalks, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
½ bag egg noodles, cooked according to directions on package
1 large can chicken, drained and broken up
Pepper, to taste

1. Bring water to boil in large stock pot. Add bouillon granules and stir.
2. Add onion, celery and carrot. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to directions on package.
4. During last 5 minutes of simmering soup, add noodles and chicken. Add pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment