Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yummy Meatloaf

I am definitely in comfort food mode lately, maybe because it’s winter. Or maybe I always am in that mode. Either way, tonight is no exception: It’s Meatloaf and Mashed Potato night!!! As a young child, I don’t remember eating meatloaf. I think my mom made it for the first time for us when I was a teenager. I always remember thinking that it sounded awful. I mean just the name itself isn’t very appealing. But, I was sure glad I tried it that first time, because it is definitely one of my favorite things to eat now!

I like making Meatloaf for several reasons. You already know the first one: I can make it in advance! It’s also very easy, and most of the ingredients I always have on hand. You really can’t mess up a Meatloaf. So, if you think you can’t cook, this is a great recipe to start with.

I got this recipe from my mom, not sure where she got it, but I added the “Yummy” to the name!

Yummy Meatloaf

Meatloaf:
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 cup tomato sauce
¾ cup uncooked oats (quick or old-fashioned)
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

BBQ Sauce Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. mustard

1. Mix topping ingredients and set aside.
2. Combine all meatloaf ingredients in large bowl.
3. Place in 9x13 baking dish and shape into 4x8 inch loaf.
4. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, brush sauce over top and bake 10 more minutes.


Now, as far as the mashed potatoes go, I love homemade ones! But, I also love instant ones. It seems like a lot of people are totally against instant mashed potatoes, but they are seriously one of my all time favorite foods. I won’t tell you how often I make them…I mean, they are good for a late night snack, or when you’ve had a bad day! Anyhow, that’s what I made tonight…good ol’ Hungry Jack's! Also a little side of frozen peas (cooked, of course…I have to specify because my daughter likes them right out of the freezer), and some canned green beans.

So, not the most difficult of meals, but certainly "yummy", at least in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment