Monday, January 18, 2010

Pork Chop & Potato Scallop

Every time I cook this meal, it reminds me of being a kid. My mom used to make this and it was one of my FAVORITE dishes. So, I guess this is a true comfort food for me, because it takes me back to when life was so simple, although I didn’t realize it then! Hopefully, someday, my kids will make this for their families, and it will remind them of simpler times…the time they are experiencing right now.

Tonight was no different than the other times I have made this: everyone loves the pork chops, and everyone, except Frankie, loves the potatoes. But he has to eat one bite of them every time. Faith complains about the cream of mushroom soup…she likes the flavor, but not the mushrooms! Faith did tell me that her two stuffed pigs were angry at me for cooking up some of their relatives. I told her they should be madder at her because she ate them and enjoyed them very much!

Here is the recipe:


Pork Chop & Potato Scallop – not sure where this originated…I got it from my mom!

1 can (10 ¾ oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s Healthy Request)
½ cup sour cream (I use light)
¼ cup water
½ tsp. dill
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
4 pork chops (or more if you need)
Salt/pepper

Blend soup, sour cream, water and dill. In a 2 qt. casserole, alternate layers of potatoes and sauce. Cover and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in skillet, brown chops; season with salt and pepper. Remove potatoes from oven after 30 minutes and place pork chops on top of potatoes. Replace cover and bake 45 more minutes.


This recipe is so easy! I love it. I sliced the potatoes up early in the day today, because that is the most time consuming part! If you do this, be sure to put them in a bowl of cold water that covers the potatoes completely. Just drain the water before using! Otherwise, everything else is pretty simple and can be put together in 15 minutes or less! There really isn’t much more to say about it! I served this tonight with a can of green beans…my kids' favorite!

If you like pork chops, potatoes, and cream of mushroom soup, this is a quick easy meal with minimal prep. If you have a bigger family and need to cook more pork chops, you may need to use a larger casserole dish. Mine fits the 4 pork chops in, just barely!

Happy Cooking, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment