Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Steak & Shake Chili

I have always loved chili, especially with kidney beans. It’s not something that I usually order when I go out to eat, though. But sometimes my husband will order it, and after he gets it, I will think, “Gosh, I wish I had ordered some of that, too”. Well, about a year and a half ago, I met my husband for lunch at Steak & Shake. I was having a miserable day, and almost didn’t feel like eating. But then I saw Chili on the menu, and I knew I had to have it. So for once, I actually ordered it. And at that moment, it was the best chili I had ever eaten. Sure, I think part of it was emotional, but it really was good chili!

When I got home that day, I knew someone had to have come up with a copy-cat recipe for it. So, I started searching on the internet, and came across this recipe, which I modified a bit. And it is now our favorite here at home! It has a couple of strange ingredients in it…believe me, I was shocked when I read the recipe, too. But, trust me, it is yummy and very simple. And the best part is, you make it in the crock pot!


Steak & Shake Chili

1 1/2 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
1/2 tsp salt
1 can (10 ¾ oz) Campbell’s condensed French onion soup
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp cocoa
2 cans (15 oz) kidney beans, drained
1 can (6 oz) Tomato paste
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup cola (not diet!) – I use Coke.

1. Brown ground beef and salt. Drain.

2. Put soup in blender. Blend for 1 minute

3. Add all to crock pot.

4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 2-3 hours.


I promise, you will not taste this chili and think it tastes like chocolate or Coca-Cola. It’s not sweet, not spicy, but has a good flavor. We like to serve it with shredded cheese and sour cream on top. Occasionally (not today), we have Fritos to add in, too. But those are a rare treat, for obvious reasons!

Corn bread is always a must, too. Today it’s good old Jiffy Mix…it’s cheap, easy and yummy. One of these days I will branch out and try some corn bread with some mix-ins in it, like cheese, or peppers, or even broccoli! If you have a recipe you would like to share, please do!!!

4 comments:

  1. Kris - I love your blog! Your recipes sound so good. I've already made the Tuna Noodle Casserole (which was a big hit). And now I'm buying ingredients for the Pork Chop & Potato Scallop and Steak & Shake Chili so I can make them in the next few days. Keep it up! I love it!

    :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! I am glad you are enjoying this! I am actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It really makes me think about what I am going to feed my family, and has already got me looking at tons of new recipes I want to try! I hope you like the Pork chop recipe and the chili, too! Let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all really liked this chili! When I told Tony it was "Steak and Shake Chili" he asked if I was making the shakes too. Sorry - not on such a cold January night! But you're right - very simple, and delish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I will have to get a Shake recipe!! ;) Glad you liked the chili! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete